Cost Cutting Measures
You might not realize the simple steps you can take to keep costs down at your facility. Below is a list of our recommendations:
- Establish a bed make-up policy that minimizes wasted linen. Draw sheets and underpads should be used only for patients that require them.
- Take only linen that is necessary for immediate patient care into patient rooms.
- Do not stock closets, drawers or cupboards with linen that will not be used within 24 hours.
- Resist the urge to overstock linen or simply fill the shelves.
- Use the green “Reject Linen” hamper bags at your facility for unusable linen – DO NOT throw linen away.
- Limit scrub usage to those staff members who have a clinical need to wear scrubs.
- Make sure to order daily, or regularly if your facility does not receive daily deliveries. Fax in your Order Change form in a timely manner and order only what is needed for patient care.
- Use linen for what it is intended to be used for. Do not use bath towels or bath blankets to mop up spills. Do not use washcloths other than for patient care.